WizzAir today announced a massive expansion from Naples in Italy. The low-cost carrier will make the city its 6th Italian base and will also start flights to 18 cities.
The carrier will base 2 Airbus A321 aircrafts at Naples airport in August and September 2021. Naples will be WizzAir’s 6th base in Italy after Milan Malpensa, Catania, Palermo, Bari and Rome Fiumicino.
The 18 new routes along with start date and frequency are:
- Lampedusa – 30th July – Mondays and Fridays
- Milan Linate – 30th July – Daily (Double Daily as of September)
- Olbia – 30th July – Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays
- Turin – 15th September – Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
- Verona – 16th September – Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays
- Mykonos – 31st July – Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- Chania – 30th July – Mondays and Fridays
- Santorini – 1st August – Wednesdays and Sundays
- Ibiza – 30th July – Daily
- Fuerteventura – 15th September – Wednesdays and Sundays
- Tenerife – 16th September – Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- London – 15th September – Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays And Sundays
- Tallinn – 17th September – Mondays and Fridays
- Prague – 18th September – Tuesdays and Saturdays
- Tel Aviv – 15th September – Wednesdays and Sundays
- Casablanca – 16th September – Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- Reykjavik – 17th September – Mondays and Fridays
- Sharm El Sheikh – 18th September – Only Saturdays
In total, this will quadruple the current capacity Wizz Air offers in Naples, reaching 1.5 million seats annually. The move will also add 30 new jobs directly with Wizz and an estimated 1,100 jobs in associated industries.
The new routes will complement the airline’s existing 8 routes from Naples. They are: Bucharest, Budapest, Kyiv, Lviv, Milan Malpensa, Sofia, Vienna and Warsaw Chopin.
George Michalopoulos, Chief Commercial Officer of Wizz Air Group said:
I am delighted to announce Wizz Air’s newest base at Naples International Airport and the quadrupling of our capacity at the airportand the quadrupling of our capacity at the airport. Wizz Air’s 6 Italian base together with the basing of 2 Airbus A321neo aircraft and the addition of 18 new routes is a further testament to the airline’s firm plan to establishing itself as the most trusted and sustainable player among Italy’s top 3 airlines. It is a true honour to serve Italy’s third biggest city and support the ramp up of the local economy and the tourism sector. Our brand new A321neo aircraft as well as our enhanced protective measures will ensure the best possible sanitary conditions for travellers while operating with the lowest environmental footprint. We look forward welcome passengers back on board with great service and a smile.
To celebrate the newly announced routes, travellers can book tickets for as low as €9.99 ($12) for base fares starting today. Seats offered at this price will be limited so be sure to book tickets fast if you are planning to fly to or from Naples in the summer.
Featured image by Business Traveller
What do you think of WizzAir’s massive expansion out of Italy? Let me know in the comments section below.