Southwest Airlines has revealed a major Hawaii expansion as the airline is bringing more nonstop options to passengers in more markets. Southwest first started flying to Hawaii in the spring of 2019. Southwest, the largest low-cost carrier in the world, is known for its great fares, no change fees and free checked bags and travellers were happy to see Southwest enter the Hawaiian market.
Starting June 2021, Southwest will launch flights between Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Diego and Hawaii with a combination of Boeing B737-800s and B737MAX 8s. The airline is even offering introductory fares of $129-159 one-way.
This will represent Southwest’s first service out of Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Phoenix to Hawaii while the airline is adding additional service out of San Diego. Southwest’s current Hawaii service is operated out of Long Beach, Oakland, Sacramento, San Diego, and San Jose.
Andrew Watterson, Chief Commercial Officer & Executive Vice President, Southwest Airlines, said:
We’re building on an era of affordability that Southwest initiated for Hawaii air travel. These new flights bring Hawaii service closer to more of our Customers who live near airports across the West, and make it possible to choose Southwest to fly between the Aloha State and cities as far east as Nashville, without spending an entire overnight in the air. We believe Southwest offers an economy product to Hawaii, which Customers will find comfortable and seating with ample legroom for all*, free onboard entertainment for all, flexible policies for all, and our multi-award winning warmth of Hospitality seamlessly aligns with the Aloha Spirit.
Out of Las Vegas
From Las Vegas, Southwest will operate flights to:
- Honolulu, Oahu – from 6th June 2021, twice-daily
- Kahului, Maui – from 27th June 2021, twice-daily
- Kona, Island of Hawaii – from 7th September 2021, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- Lihue, Kauai – from 8th September 2021, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays
On the new Las Vegas service, Watterson said:
We delivered on the second, most-asked request we’ve heard from people in Hawaii–after we answered a call to offer affordable interisland flying as part of our initial entry into Hawaii in spring 2019—by connecting Hawaii with nonstop service to Las Vegas, ‘the ninth island,’ where Southwest currently offers nearly 200 flights a day to more than 60 airports.
Out of Los Angeles
From Los Angeles, Southwest will operate flights to:
- Honolulu, Oahu – from 6th June 2021, daily (increasing to twice-daily from 27th June 2021)
- Kahului, Maui – from 6th June 2021, 3-times-a-day
- Kona, Island of Hawaii – from 27th June 2021, daily
- Lihue, Kauai from 27th June 2021, daily
On the new Los Angeles service, Watterson said:
Headed to Hawaii? Take the first door on the right at LAX. Approaching two decades as the largest air carrier for California travelers, we are bringing nonstop service to four airports in the Hawaiian Islands as close as LAX Terminal 1. Los Angeles becomes our sixth Hawaii gateway in California.
Out of Pheonix
From Phoenix, Southwest will operate flights to:
- Honolulu, Oahu – from 27th June 2021, twice-daily
- Kahului, Maui – from 27th June 2021, daily
- Kona, Island of Hawaii – from 7th September 2021, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays
- Lihue, Kauai – from 7th September 2021, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays
On the new Phoenix service, Watterson said:
Phoenix is another place where more locals fly with Southwest than any other carrier—we’ve grown since launching Phoenix in 1982 to offer service currently to nearly 60 cities nonstop on more than 180 departures a day—and Hawaii service on Southwest is a longtime request. Phoenix becomes another place where our Customers, who appreciate our standard comfort and value for everyone onboard now can fly Southwest nonstop to and from multiple Hawaiian Islands every day during waking hours.
Out of San Diego
Southwest will add additional and new flights from San Diego to:
- Honolulu, Oahu – from 6th June, twice-daily
- Kahului, Maui – from 6th June, daily (increasing to twice-daily from 27th June 2021)
- Kona, Island of Hawaii – from 27th June 2021, on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays (increasing to daily from 7th September 2021)
- Lihue, Kauai – from 29th June 2021, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays (increasing to daily from 7th September 2021)
On the new San Diego service, Watterson said:
We’re doubling our Honolulu service for San Diego while also adding new flights to the Island of Hawaii, Maui, and Kauai to answer requests we’ve heard on both sides of these new routes. Our military travelers in San Diego especially benefit from these time-saving options as we’re also bringing them new nonstop options between San Diego and Norfolk/Virginia Beach this summer.
More flights out of Oakland, San Jose and Long Beach
Southwest will offer additional flights out of Oakland, San Jose and Long Beach to:
- Between San Jose and Kahului, Maui – from 6th June 2021, twice-daily
- Between Long Beach and Honolulu, Oahu – from 27th June 2021 through 6th September 2021, twice-daily
- Between Oakland and Honolulu, Oahu – from 27th June 2021 through 6th September 2021, thrice-daily
Meanwhile, Southwest recently announced a major expansion in the US with 36 new routes.
Featured image by Conde Nast Traveller
What do you think of Southwest’s Hawaii expansion? Are you looking for a beach holiday to the islands with Southwest? Let me know in the comments section below.